Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Forsaken Valley of people long gone

I start at the base and head up the pathway that leads to the top.I'm all kitted out complete with water, coldrinks, dried fruit, the works.At the top of the path I turn up, to my right and head to what is called the Wolfberg cracks.I'm on Wolfberg in the Cederberg Valley, and at 10 in the morning, the sun is angry and showing it.A place of tranquil, the mountain lures you deeper into her cool inner sanctum, and then abruptly spews you back out on top, facing the dry heat once again.I start running, heading to the Wolfberg Arch, a few kilometers away.Save for my heavy breathing, there is no sound up here, and one should be forgiven for thinking that God has forgotten this place.Except he has'nt.Rock lizzards in an array of colours stare coolly before disappearing between the slits.Rock formations par to none abound and for a fleeting moment I feel as if I could be part of an old forgotten world.I run on my cushioned shoes with their state of the art lacing system, and my breathable moisture wick shirt is surprisingly dry in this heat, and I realise I am far from it.Far from a world where the San once made their home and worked the earth.I'm far from a place where water was scarce, food had to be hunted and there was no protection against the sun.Where the only running was for work, and cushioned shoes were foreign.
We're really lucky I thought,
we have it all, I thought
I was wrong I think.
They had it all.

No comments: